What is Content Marketing? Why should it be important to you in MLM?
(I want to thank my Linkedin connection, Jon Ferrara, for pointing me to the following amazing and popular marketing resource. John is the Founder and CEO of Nimble. He is the founder of Goldmine Contact Management Software. Nimble is his latest social version of it. You’re using Free Nimble, right? … the one I have listed under “Trade Tools” in the menu bar)
The Content Marketing Institute can explain it best for you, below;
Joe Pulizzi has six useful definitions of content marketing, but here is a quick version:
“Content Marketing is owning, as opposed to renting, media. It’s a marketing process to attract and retain customers by consistently creating and curating content in order to change or enhance a consumer behavior.”
In short, instead of pitching your products or services, you are delivering information that makes your buyer more intelligent. The essence of this content strategy is the belief that if we, as businesses, deliver consistent, ongoing valuable information to buyers, they ultimately reward us with their business and loyalty.
Do I really need to learn about another form of marketing?
Yes! Consumers have simply shut off the traditional world of marketing. They own a DVR to skip television advertising, often ignore magazine advertising, and now have become so adept at online surfing that they can take in online information without a care for banners or buttons (making them irrelevant).
Smart marketers understand that traditional marketing is becoming less and less effective by the minute, and that there has to be a better way. Thought leaders and marketing experts from around the world, including the likes of Seth Godin and hundreds of the leading thinkers in marketing, have concluded that content marketing isn’t just the future, it’s the present (see the video below on the history of content marketing).
How is content marketing different from other forms of marketing?
There is a lot of confusion about what content marketing is and what it isn’t. While the semantics are not that important, it’s useful to understand how content marketing plays with other forms of marketing:
- Content Marketing vs. Social Media Marketing: What’s the Difference?
- The 7 Business Goals of Content Marketing: Inbound Marketing Isn’t Enough
- How to Explain the Value of Content Marketing (Content marketing vs. traditional marketing)
Who is using content marketing?
Content marketing is being used by some of the greatest marketing organizations in the world, including P&G, Microsoft, Cisco Systems and John Deere. It’s also developed and executed by small businesses and one-person shops around the globe.
According to the 2013 B2B Content Marketing Benchmarks, Budgets and Trends research, 9 out of 10 B2B marketers are using content marketing – regardless of company size or industry. And they are doing what it takes to bring about desired results:
- On average, B2B marketers employ eight different content marketing tactics to achieve their marketing goals.
- 60 percent report that they plan to increase their spend on content marketing over the next 12 months.
- Marketers, on average, spend over a quarter of their marketing budget on content marketing.
How do I get started?
Here are a few articles to help you get started with content marketing:
- First Things First – Content Strategy Before Social Strategy
- The Essential Things You Need to Know When Adding Content Marketing to the Mix
- How to Get Started in Content Marketing
- 21 Things Content Marketing Experts Wish They Had Known When They Got Started
- How to Use Micro-Content in Your Marketing Strategy
- The 3 Big Myths of B2B Content Marketing
By Having Your Own Active Blog Website, You are Content Marketing by Wayne Gerald
Latest posts by Wayne Gerald (see all)
- How big is your Marketing LEVER? Is it only a toothpick? – Marketing Tools - April 7, 2015
- Perhaps the Biggest Unalterable Natural Law in MLM Network Marketing - February 19, 2014
- Why Network Marketing is the Fairest and Fastest Win/Win Organizational Model Ever Created - February 6, 2014
- Toxic People Stop Your MLM Success – 46 Traits to Watch Out For - February 5, 2014